Saturday, July 31, 2010

My awesome journey with ubuntu express

I have tried linux before and failed miserably,I lost my cool as well as patience due to the extreme complexity of linux systems,I am not a programmer nor do I have the linux educated friends so I continued with windows.

As a professional I have been working with windows servers and desktops for a long time and in enterprise environments it was simply horrifying considering security,redundancy, lack of compatibility of using those as complex role playing severs etc etc.Now I am in such a mental state every time I need to restart my pcs or servers I seriously feel irritated and believe me we have to do it a lot.

So this time I was desperate and fortunately there came ubuntu,I have been using it for some time now and yes it is not issue free,there are still some things to figure out yet regarding which I have no idea right now,but I have to say ubuntu seriously makes our linux journey too cool.

Now I don't want to go this debate on which in better betwwen linux and windows,I will simply use one which serves my needs better,but the fact I can not deny is I am getting an os for free(yes u heard me right free),now I don't have to worry about the cracks,don't have to worry about disabing the updates,don't have to worry about the security of my mail server,file server or web server,I mean it sincerely it's not just an os for me ,it's a dream came true.

Now there is one problem I faced,in spite of all the gaga about the overwhelming support ubuntu users claimed to have,I found it quite difficult to get the proper information's on how to get things done.

So here how I made my ubuntu 10 box as useful as windows machine.These are all terminal commands basically.

To log in as root(root user is by default disabled in ubuntu)

sudo root passwd

and then put the password

To update and upgrade on command line

sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-`uname -r`
sudo apt-get install make
sudo apt-get install gcc


sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade


To configure all packages that are still unconfigured :
 sudo dpkg --configure -a 

To be continued



 Sourav Bhattacharya





No comments:

Post a Comment